Table manners have evolved over centuries to make the practice of eating with others pleasant and sociable. With so many table manners to keep track, keep these basic, but oh-so-important, table manners in mind as you eat:
1. Chew with your mouth closed.
2. Keep your smartphone off the table and set to silent or vibrate. Wait to check calls and texts until you are finished with the meal and away from the table.
3. Don’t use your utensils like a shovel or stab your food.
4. Don’t pick your teeth at the table.
5. Remember to use your napkin and to put it on the table when you get up.
6. Wait until you’re done chewing to sip or swallow a drink.
7. Cut only one piece of food at a time.
8. Avoid slouching and don’t place your elbows on the table.
9. Instead of reaching across the table for something, ask for it to be passed to you.
10. Take part in polite dinner conversation but don’t talk with your mouth full.